Friday, September 23, 2011

In Homage to the Architects of Old (Georgetown Flashback #3)

I look up when I wander through old sections of small towns, where progress looks outward, into the farmlands, filling the fields with unadorned concrete, glass and sheet metal buildings, built to be replaced.


The buildings in these small Texas towns were designed with pride and built to last, to show off, to stand out. 
It breaks my heart when I see them neglected.


That's not the case in Georgetown, though. At least not now. 



“Architecture, of all the arts, is the one which acts the most slowly, but the most surely, on the soul.” ~  Ernest Dimnet 




"There are three forms of visual art: Painting is art to look at, sculpture is art you can walk around, and architecture is art you can walk through." ~ Dan Rice




Can you tell I love these stairs? Such a great example of function meeting art - anything can be made beautiful, if attention is paid to the details and worked with pride.  


I almost missed this, hiding under an eave at the corner of a building. 
It becomes art when every surface is a part of the canvas.




“The mother art is architecture. Without an architecture of our own we have no soul of our own civilization.” ~  Frank Lloyd Wright




“This building is like a book. Its architecture is the binding, its text is in the glass and sculpture.” ~  Malcolm Miller





“An architect is the drawer of dreams” ~  Grace McGarvie 




In these old towns, each building has its own personality.



“Architecture is music in space, as it were a frozen music.” ~  Friedrich Wilhelm Joseph von Schelling

8 comments:

  1. love those stairs!!! they're my favorite part of this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goodness ~ isn't that stone and metal work just beautiful!

    Happy Weekend Barbara!
    xo Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful buildings! I enjoy photography old architecture too. There is always such great detail. LIke those stairs ... awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This architecture is really something Barbara!
    I especially love the detail on the stairs.
    I hope you have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That PH Dimmitt sign is awesome! I do love the stairs, too. Great architecture shots, Barbara!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those signs are wonderful, I love these old fonts, and how proud someone was of their work to have their company name imprinted on everyone of those steps!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing buildings and images Barbara. I love that black and white image - it just seems to capture some of the timeless beauty locked up in that piece of architecture. And I love those iron steps too. There is a lot of old Venetian influence in the buildings on our little Greek island and I often think they would make amazing images. We recently worked with an Italian metal smith - you find a lot of old fashioned workshops/craftsmen here and it is truly exciting to see them work. Nothing mass produced but all lovingly done by hand - swoon!
    Thanks so much for sharing your images Barbara.

    ReplyDelete

Take a minute to share your thoughts and make my day!