Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Harvest Moon



We're caught in a clash of seasons, here in Central Texas. 
Nature blatantly dons the latest autumn fashions - leaves glisten in oranges and golds while the sky is sheathed in brilliant azure - but stubborn summer refuses to give up control of the thermostat. 
Triple digits again today.
Sigh.

"Sorrow and scarlet leaf,
Sad thoughts and sunny weather.
Ah me, this glory and this grief
Agree not well together!"

-   Thomas Parsons, 1880, A Song For September

And yet the Harvest Moon rose, right on schedule. Kinda reassuring in this crazy world, isn't it?


"Smoke hangs like haze over harvested fields,
The gold of stubble, the brown of turned earth
And you walk under the red light of fall
The scent of fallen apples, the dust of threshed grain
The sharp, gentle chill of fall.
Here as we move into the shadows of autumn
The night that brings the morning of spring
Come to us, Lord of Harvest
Teach us to be thankful for the gifts you bring us ..."
-  Autumn Equinox Ritual



(Cropped but otherwise, straight out of the camera. Love that orange color!)


"And Fall, with her yeller harvest moon and the hills growin' brown and golden under a sinkin' sun." 
~ Roy Bean


12 comments:

  1. Barbara, Great shots of our Harvest Moon! I love the quotes you used to but your post together. A perfect compliment to your beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barbara, your moon is just awesome! I love your photos! Wasn't it just beautiful last night!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - that honey moon is glorious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice shots of the moon. I shake too much even with a tripod, so most of my moon shots end up blurry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glorious moon!
    Wish we could have seen it here - but Autumn's clouds arrived... ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not much matches the magic and beauty of a harvest moon, love your photos of it, and the quotes. The weather broke here, cold and rain. Of course, like much of the country, we need the rain, but I'd rather not have the cold just yet. Especially since we have plans for camping this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. we have a chance of rain here tomorrow and cooler temps expected again! i'm SO ready!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, everyone! Maureen, wish I could take that rain off your hands (head?)

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are amazing shots! Today was only about 92 so at least it didn't reach the century mark as they said it would. And on my lunch hour I actually got rained on briefly. Hope it was the same way there. Fall is almost here. Hang on!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. that moon is lovely! hope you are surviving the heat and dry weather OK.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my gosh, I am so not anywhere the place that I could take pictures like these. I am in awe of your photos.
    Sorry it is still so hot there. It gets down to 45 at night here and I am wearing sweats. And socks on my feet.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fab photos. We could do with some of your heat over here in Northern Ireland; the highest at the moment is 55 F during the day and the leaves are starting to turn. They call it 13 degrees C here and somehow that sounds even colder to me!

    ReplyDelete

Take a minute to share your thoughts and make my day!