Tuesday, July 12, 2011

The Fourth on Lake Travis (well,what's left of it)

A lake is the landscape's most beautiful and expressive feature.  It is earth's eye; looking into which the beholder measures the depth of his own nature.  
~Henry David Thoreau

Grab a hat, a cool drink, your sunscreen and meet us down at the dock. We're heading out with our friends George and Karen for a ride on Lake Travis (thanks, G and K!) 



What's left of Lake Travis, anyway. 

These docks are at the end of what used to be a cove full of water, not grass.


There's just enough water on G and K's end to maneuver the boat.
If you're really, really careful.


The lake levels have dropped a tad.


Easing past the neighbor's dock (the roof in photo #3) 


Cheering us on our way!


Ah, wide open spaces at last...


Guess they didn't hear about the drought.


Still enough water for lots of fun, though!


I want one of these. (Not really, but seriously, who lives here?)


And here? 
This is actually the one I want.


I've always wanted a turret.
In fact, just give me the turret. I can do without that much house.



Unless it came with a maid, of course.
And it probably does.



Okay, I'll take it.
And this sailboat.
Thank you!


Okay, I'll stop dreaming...

We're going to anchor near this island for a little while.
It's normally under water.



Time to relax in the water.


Doesn't this look like fun?


And this?


Too soon, it's time to head back to the dock 
 Hope you enjoyed the ride! 


(Put some aloe gel on that sunburn. Works wonders!)

We never know the worth of water till the well is dry.  
~Thomas Fuller, Gnomologia, 1732


This is my contribution to Jan@twoscoopz's Focus 52 project for this week...
focus52Blog

9 comments:

  1. Well, I really enjoyed that cruise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I arrived here through a comment of yours where you state that you often think that adding texture to images doesn't necessarily improve them. I so agree, that I had to come and stop by :-)
    Very much enjoyed the boat trip.Beautiful splashing of water.
    A tower will do. I agree there as well. We have beautiful old water towers around where I live (U.K.) and I dream of refurbishing one of those one day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great day !
    Enjoy !!
    Regards from France...

    Pierre

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I didn't realize your lake was that low. Looks like you all had a great day on the lake. Thanks for sharing your day with us. I'd take the turret and maybe just a little of the house, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, what can I say...you've captured our weekends! As far as the lake levels, we've seen it as bad here in the southeast in recent years. It's scary when it's happening because you begin to think you'll never see the water levels rise again, but they will. Mother Nature has a way of making that happen!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw that house with the turret a couple weeks ago! We were so close!! Beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. looks like a blast even with the low water level....

    and that's my house. what you didn't see in the photo is my private plane parked outside....if only i had know you were right there, i would have invited you in.....

    really, i would have :)
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great shots!
    and I bet there's more than one maid. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  9. love all that water action. the jet ski is my favorite.
    thanks for sharing these on shutter sisters yesterday.

    ReplyDelete

Take a minute to share your thoughts and make my day!