Thursday, February 16, 2012

What is joy? It is a bird...

This little guy posed for me outside my kitchen window yesterday. 
I can't remember what kind of bird he is
beyond CUTE!

"Keep a green tree in your heart and perhaps a singing bird will come."
-  Chinese Proverb 



"Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul,
And sings the tune without the words,
and never stops at all."
-  Emily Dickenson  



Last week a wave of robins washed over the Hollow.
I was able to snap quite a few of them munching on juniper berries.
I guess we were just a stop on their journey...
The next day they were gone.
That's the second wave of robins we've had in so many months!

"Spring would not be spring without bird songs."

-  Francis M. Chapman   




"The sound of birds stops the noise in my mind."

-  Carly Simon




blue oaks
   leafed out -
    robins back
-  Mike Garofalo, Cuttings





"Be grateful for luck.  Pay the thunder no mind - listen to the birds.  And don't hate nobody."
-  Eubie Blake 




"I hope you love birds too.   It is economical.  It saves going to heaven."

-  Emily Dickinson 



What a sweet surprise to spot these Cedar Waxwings mingling with the Robins!


"To me, the garden is a doorway to other worlds; one of them, of course, is the world of birds.  The garden is their dinner table, bursting with bugs and worms and succulent berries."
-  Anne Raver 




Yesterday Tom reported seeing a raptor flying through the Hollow, bigger than a hawk but smaller than a Bald Eagle. 
Perhaps a Golden Eagle? 
I can only hope... and have my zoom ready.

"What is joy?
It is a bird
That we all want to catch.
It is the same bird
That we all love to see flying"

- Sri Chinmoy   




Contributed to 

11 comments:

  1. love your robins and waxwings! hope you get to see that hawk/eagle again!

    and i believe that's an eastern phoebe in your first cute photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness Barbara, that little one is absolutely adorable! It does indeed look like he's posing for you.

    It is so nice to see robins! I've not seen any here yet, but I am hoping soon!

    Sending you wishes for a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Barbara,

    Great captures of some beautiful birds! We have quite a show around here too. I wish I had a long lens. Sigh!

    All the best,

    ♥charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know! Those robins swoop in in several dozen in the afternoons .. mostly to drink the water ... they seem to travel in such large groups!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Barbara, just stopping back to say thank you so very much for sharing these wonderful photographs with us this week at The Creative Exchange!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yes ~ the birds bring me much joy!! Beautiful Barbara!

    Happy weekend!
    xo Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Barbara for your recent comment on my blog, your images here are amazing. Well done!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fine collection of bird images. I especially love the soft, moody colours of that second shot. What a sweet little bird.

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh the little one is so sweet, the eye peeking back then the sun on his chin :)))

    ReplyDelete
  10. where were you perched to take the pics of the robins? beautiful pictures. love the carly simon verse i can relate to that, yesterday mornings walk was awake with birds everywhere.

    ReplyDelete

Take a minute to share your thoughts and make my day!