Thursday, March 1, 2012

Barking up Different Trees

All of a sudden, I'm noticing trees.
Well, specifically, the different patterns, textures, and colors of the trunks.
They don't have to compete for attention with any leaves yet.

"As the poet said, "only God can make a tree" - probably because it's so hard to figure out how to get the bark on."  ~Woody Allen




I have to confess, I have no idea what most of these are.
Could the one above be some type of birch?




Look at the blues and greens in this one.
Does it remind you of a globe, like it does me?


I think the pattern looks good in black and white, too.
It especially shows off that large crack.

I'll call the next set "The Many Faces of Juniper"
We just call them Cedar Trees around here, though.


Some have these white stripes. 
I have no idea why!





Some contort into different shapes.



Old and weathered, yet stubbornly standing.

The oaks are just as stubborn...




...and have just as many faces.
Odd, isn't it?



A secret hiding place for something!


Baby trees near the creek... a good sign for the future!

I think that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree.
A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
Against the earth's sweet flowing breast;
A tree that looks at God all day
And lifts her leafy arms to pray;
A tree that may in Summer wear
A nest of robins in her hair;
Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
Who intimately lives with rain.
Poems are made by fools like me,
But only God can make a tree.
~Joyce Kilmer, "Trees," 1914


17 comments:

  1. I think you might have mistakenly posted a photo of my knee up there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i LOVE trees! glad to see yours as we don't have any birch here. love those cedars and oaks, though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love this post! and i believe that's montana and north dakota on that tree! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Ms. A, that made me laugh. I had some photos that resembled body parts I couldn't post on a G-rated blog!
    @TexWis Girl... Is that a birch? I really don't know! I need to dig out my tree book I guess. For once, Mr. Google didn't help much.
    @Jillsy... you get an 'A'in Geography!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, how I've missed your gorgeous photos! You have such a creative eye and you always manage to see the details that we ordinary folk miss.

    ReplyDelete
  6. EMP, I've missed you, too! Hope you're back writing on your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know much about trees at all Barbara, but these sure are wonderful photographs of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I wish I knew more about them!!

      Delete
  8. love their strong quiet beauty....I could just hug them all:)
    -Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I truly can picture you doing that, Jennifer!

      Delete
  9. Trees are amazingly unique - love your collection!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I definitely have a tree thing--I even have a Pinterest board dedicated to them!

    It's not surprising so many people love trees when you consider that in dream imagery, they represent LIFE.

    You are full of life and an inspiration--as your view through the lens attests!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gina... I'm going to have to check out your Tree Board!

      Delete
  11. I love trees too. But with living in Southwest Saskatchewan, they are few and far between. So thank you for sharing your lovely trees Barbara!

    Wishing you a beautiful week!
    xo Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never realized you didn't have many there! I need to brush up on my Canadian geography! I hope (overall) you're having a wonderful birthday week, Catherine!

      Delete
  12. Beautiful pics, Barbara. You know how much I love and admire trees. I had to lauigh at your post title.. and it kick-started an ear worm. Barking up is hard to do. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Take a minute to share your thoughts and make my day!