Monday, October 17, 2011

From Czechoslovakia, with love...

Czechoslovakia...
My favorite word since its melodic syllables first danced into my ears years ago.

Czech Republic... no music there.

I knew the odds were slim that my boys would be able to find something with my favorite word written on it during their travels to Prague.
They did their best, but no luck.

However, they found this and remembered my stein collection...




Beautiful, isn't it?
And I think Česká Republika has a nice ring to it.


(Thank you, boys!)

Once they returned home, I put the whole Czechoslovakia thing behind me.

And that's why this was such a surprise...




It says "Czechoslovakia".

Yeah, I know. It's hard to see.
Here, is this better?


Would you believe my brother-in-law found this on e-Bay for me, knowing the boys hadn't found anything?
So sweet and thoughtful!


Seeing my favorite word on the back is actually kind of amazing to me.

But even better is the vision I have of onyx beads draped through work-worn hands... fingers working their way from bead to bead... scarfed-head bowed over the tarnished silver crucifix... lips moving in silent prayer.

So much history. So much faith.

(Thank you, Ralph!)

Linking up with Lisa's Creative Exchange and Tones on Tuesdays.

15 comments:

  1. my father was full-blood czech (bohemian, actually). and my mother (full-blood german) was a devout rosary prayer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your boys did good with that stein! I love the colors of it. The rosary is such an amazing find. What a wonderful family you have. Since becoming Catholic again last year, I have yet to pray the rosary. I'm sure I'll get there...

    Hope you have a blessed week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The stein is an especially pretty one, but the rosary is gorgeous. It reminds me of all of my years in boarding school with the Dominican nuns. There were a lot of rosaries said back in those days. Your captures are beautiful. genie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Barbara, you have one kind brother-in-law!! How incredibly thoughtful of him. These are really beautiful, and I love the stein too!

    Thank you so much for sharing this today at The Creative Exchange.

    Have a great evening!

    lisa.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i have always loved that name, and was disappointed when they changed it. lovely gifts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow this is an amazing find. I can only imagine how many prayers are being said in this rosary. I learn how to say the rosary prayer when I was young. My grandmother and mother used to pray early in the morning and I am too sleepy to pray, lol. Those were the times that I thought why I have to wake up and pray..now I know what it means to pray. I am so happy for them that they thought me how to pray the rosary. And this month is the rosary month ^_^ Happy Tuesday!
    The Wedding

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Theresa, you should have one of these!
    @Gail, hope that link helps.
    @ Genie, Thank you!
    @ Lisa, oops! Thanks for reminding me to add my Creative Exchange link!! And yes, this was an extremely thoughtful thing for him to do!
    @Kamana, I'm glad I'm not the only one!
    @Kim, I didn't know it was Rosary month!! Thanks for letting me know!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are right about Czech Republic not sounding as nice as Czechoslovakia. Easier to spell, though.

    I went there a long time ago as part of a trip during an exchange trip I was on. A side trip over spring break. Wow! That was an experience. I'd love to return someday.

    The beads are gorgeous. Very thoughtful of your brother-in-law.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your photos of the rosary. They show of its character.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow - those beads are so lovely! And what a great Stein...

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a beautiful old rosary!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful! The bead black and white shots are so pretty. Thank you for sharing! I have a link up for altered tone photos (black and white, sepia, etc) that I would love if you joined in on!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such lovely, thoughtful gifts from both of them.

    I understand your love for the word. How about Constantinople? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. So thought-provoking. I love reading your blog. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. My grandfather loved words and when we stayed with my grandparents he would give us a new word to learn each day. We would have to learn to spell it and use it in a sentence in conversation with someone. Your love of the word "Czechoslovakia" reminded me of him. Mind you, his favourite word was diarrhoea!! My Nan nearly had a heart attack when he gave us that word one morning... :))

    ReplyDelete
  15. Izzwizz, that's so funny about your grandfather. He sounds like he was quite a character!
    Hilary, I love saying Constantinople, too! Definitely a close 2nd.
    Thanks everyone!

    ReplyDelete

Take a minute to share your thoughts and make my day!