Thursday, September 23, 2010

Moon Fever

I'm a sucker for the full moon.
It draws me in and holds me, mesmerizes me.
A thousand thoughts fly through my mind, but later I can't remember a single one.
I love the moon; I love moonlight
splashing across the water, across my living room floor.
I love the world bathed in moonlight, a dreamworld aglow, caught between light and shadow. ~ me

Tell me what you feel in your room when the full moon is shining in upon you and your lamp is dying out, and I will tell you how old you are, and I shall know if you are happy. ~ Henri Frederic Amiel



Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side he never shows to anyone. ~ Mark Twain




Aim for the moon. If you miss, you might hit a star. ~ W. Clement Stone


The moon is a friend for the lonesome to talk to. ~ Carl Sandburg



The moon of a bright silver, which dazzles by its shining, illumines a world which surely is no longer ours; for it resembles in nothing what may be seen in other lands.
~ Pierre Loti



There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls. ~ George Carlin



We need to find God and he cannot be found in noise and restlessness. God is the friend of silence. See how nature - trees, flowers, grass - grows in silence; see the stars, the moon and the sun, how they move in silence... We need silence to be able to touch souls. ~ Mother Teresa


Last night was a Super Harvest Moon, according to CNN (see the article here, with a photo I suspect was photoshopped - what do you think?)  And click here to read about my experience photographing it last night.

I've been asked, so here's the "secret" to my moon shots... low ISO (mine was 100), low shutterspeed (around 1/2000, I think... this is where I experimented the most, and it might vary by camera) and zoomed in the maximum amount, 300mm on mine, for full frame shots like the ones above.
They'll look dark, but that leaves you room to play with the contrast. Crop it, then start adjusting the fill, highlights and shadows (I just have Picasa and it works great for me.) Have fun!

5 comments:

  1. When I read about the harvest moon, I knew you'd be taking pictures of it. I took quite a few tonight at the football game that had no interesting action. Not as good as yours. They're so interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you use Picasa? Poor man's version of Adobe Photoshop. Can't do as much, but it's pretty good. I like to play around with contrast, shadows, tones, etc. Try it with yours and see what you get!

    ReplyDelete
  3. glorious photos! my sister-in-law (your twin) and my brother were visiting this past weekend and she and I tried shooting the full moon, but we didn't achieve what you did! we should have played with the ISO. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Makes me want to hooooowwwwl!
    stunning

    ReplyDelete

Take a minute to share your thoughts and make my day!